Camden Place on the east side of Hampstead Road – nowadays the stretch of Camden High Street between Greenland Road and Greenland Place - was the first terrace of the new town that Lord Camden established through an Act of Parliament in 1788. The talk will trace the development of Camden Town across the Fleet valley to Maiden Lane, its Regency terraces and mews, squares and ornamental crescents, as well as the canal and railways, in the nineteenth century. The new town was attractive to both artisans and middle classes, as well as for trades and manufacturing. Understanding Camden Town’s character and sense of place can inform conservation and heritage for the Borough of Camden.
Mark McCarthy has been a postgraduate student at the Institute of Historical Research, University of London.
Free to members. Non-members welcome (£1 at the door).